Re: Cross linking (Was: Codec2)

"Tony Langdon, VK3JED" <vk3jed@...>

At 09:02 AM 5/24/2012, you wrote:

Any linking protocol that mixes systems should contain an ability to identify the type of traffic source (Analog, Digital) and encoding (AMBE, Codec-2, etc.) and allow the administrator of a repeater to determine which traffic to accept.
A key issue identified many years ago is that control over what sort of traffic should be allowed to pass through a gateway should be in hands of the administrator of that particular gateway/repeater. If I want to allow transmissions of analog origin on my repeater, I should be allowed to simply enable reception of that type of traffic. And if I don't want it (there are legal reasons for not allowing _some_ analog systems to link to digital here), then I should be able to block it.

Similarly, I should not be able to "force" unwanted traffic types on another gateway.

Given these two "non-issues", the rest is just politics. :)
My sentiments exactly. :)

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com