Re: DV3000 questions

kb9mwr@...

Face the facts, ham radio is niche market.  And DV is an even smaller sliver of that.  Ham coders with that experience is even less.

As for a hardware vendor not knowing about every software package that will work with the hardware, that analogy might hold true in the mainstream market, where there lots of users.  Like a Window OS and independent software applications.

Yes everyone can innovate independently, but I think in such a limited market area it would be more logical if they worked together.  Poll the resources so to speak.

The only publicly available Linux software that I know of for the NW DV products is from Jonathan Naylor.  I think Fred, PA4YBR has a Windows application that he sells.

Ham radio has made a pretty good argument for open source stuff.  It's our very nature.  Short of a open source coder writing something to bolster his resume, I'd like to think the hardware vendor should at least consider donating their hardware to competent coders to encourage development.  Maybe this happens.

If I wanted to sell my product, I'd want to keep tabs on what software has been developed to work with my hardware as it will help sell my product, and know what to refer customers to.

Short of a hardware guys cutting a deal with the software developers then other options to encourage software development might be:

-A kickstarter project.  X number of potential users pledge $$
-A group backed project.  TAPR or the ARRL makes a pledge

And at the very least like I said before, recognition via awards from some like the ARRL or TAPR can go a long way to keep that limited pool of coders from feeling unrecognized/burned out.

I think with a more organized approach in ham radio we can be making better progress.

Again just my thoughts.