Re: Thumb dv audio breakup

Pericles Afaganis <perilles@...>

There are no guarantees with the internet.  When the pipe anywhere along the route overflows the packets are dropped. Good ISP’s have an excess of bandwidth to avoid most of the issues but smaller ones may not be able to afford the extra bandwidth.  QoS must be enabled over the entire path to be able to use that feature of the internet. It also comes at a cost much like a static IP.  Voice data is the hardest hit when packets are dropped as good voice recreation requires all the packets to be in sequence in a timely fashion to get good audio. 

On Jan 5, 2016, at 2:01 PM, Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Les Norton gm4jnw@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:
> 
> not good then, the retailer is also doing tests.
> 
> i can’t see anyway of altering packet/audio buffering size in the software.

There isn’t a packet buffer at all in Buster. Every packet received is processed in the order they are received as they are received. With a UDP protocol, there’s not much use in buffering a whole lot.

There is a 16k audio buffer. At 8k samples per second and 2 bytes per sample, that’s around a second of audio buffering.

This is all pretty academic, though. He’s said there’s a problem with both WinDV and Buster that behaves the same. This would tend to indicate it’s not software.

> i am contacting my isp but they tend to have no interest, so long as you are getting emails etc.
> they don’t understand the needs of radio hams.
> if it can’t be sorted will have to return it under the retailers 7 day no quibble returns policy, which is a real shame.
> 
> i never had any problems with either the original dongle or the old blue dongle, thats what made me raise this.
> 
> 
>> On 5 Jan 2016, at 18:29, beaupeppybrandypip@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:
>> 
>> Just done another pingtest here in the UK .. ping 16ms, jitter 1ms
>> 
>> As John etc says, your problem looks certain to be your internet connection :(
>> 
> 
> 
> 

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj@...

Join main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.