Re: Thumb dv audio breakup

Pericles Afaganis <perilles@...>

There are no guarantees with the internet.  When the pipe anywhere along the route overflows the packets are dropped. Good ISP’s have an excess of bandwidth to avoid most of the issues but smaller ones may not be able to afford the extra bandwidth.  QoS must be enabled over the entire path to be able to use that feature of the internet. It also comes at a cost much like a static IP.  Voice data is the hardest hit when packets are dropped as good voice recreation requires all the packets to be in sequence in a timely fashion to get good audio.

On Jan 5, 2016, at 2:01 PM, Jeremy McDermond mcdermj@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Les Norton gm4jnw@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:
>
> not good then, the retailer is also doing tests.
>
> i can’t see anyway of altering packet/audio buffering size in the software.

There isn’t a packet buffer at all in Buster. Every packet received is processed in the order they are received as they are received. With a UDP protocol, there’s not much use in buffering a whole lot.

There is a 16k audio buffer. At 8k samples per second and 2 bytes per sample, that’s around a second of audio buffering.

This is all pretty academic, though. He’s said there’s a problem with both WinDV and Buster that behaves the same. This would tend to indicate it’s not software.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems