Re: Thumb dv audio breakup

Les Norton <gm4jnw@...>

Well what a day.
I rang my ISP today and they did a quality test and its poor.
Been like that a week now.
Then i find out that Fibre to cabinet was switched on last week, bit of a coincidence but was offered a good deal to switch over so have done it and hopefully there should be no issues after then download at the moment is today 2.1 and upload 0.25 which actually has gone down.
Not sure what upload will be when i get fibre but download is 80mbps

Fingers crossed that will sort matters out.

On 6 Jan 2016, at 03:11, beaupeppybrandypip@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

I don't know the format of the incoming UDP packets that you receive from the different servers/reflectors, but if they have any kind of information contained within them such as a sequence number or originating time stamp then you could collate that info for the end user of your software and give it to them in say a graphical form or simple text form to let them know what the packet loss/delay/jitter is.

AMBE audio frames are 20ms each, so thats 100 packets a second you should be getting (on average), if you're getting less than that (on average) then that's one figure you could present to the user. You could also assign a fairly accurate timestamp to the incoming frames yourself to monitor the jitter level (change/difference in packet arrival time).

Any and all sources of information are often extremely useful in determining the source (in this case probably the internet) of these kinds of problems for the end user.

The user could also maybe do a tracert back to the server/reflector to maybe help determine a problematic node along the internet route ?