Re: Raspberry Pi 3?

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>

On Mar 2, 2016, at 7:46 PM, Steve Stroh N8GNJ steve.n8gnj@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Bryan, John, all...

Any interest in the Raspberry Pi 3?
We’re interested. I have three on order.

I'm guessing not, as from your previous descriptions the UDRX wasn't processor-bound.

Nice that they put Wi-Fi and Bluetooth onboard, but pity they didn't provide an antenna connector for applications like yours where it will be in a metal cabinet.
There actually is a set of solder pads on the bottom side of the board to solder in a connector. That being said, it’s not really “manufacturable” for us to be soldering those things on by hand.

Any potential benefit from the 64-bit processor (even though your base OS, Raspberian will continue to be 32-bit)?
It’s not necessarily the 64-bit that interests me, especially seeming as Rasbian will continue to be 32-bit for the time being. Compass could become more ambitious and I could build 64-bit packages, but I don’t see a lot of advantage in that vs. the time and effort it would take for me to maintain it.

The real difference here is that the RPi 3 is a Cortex-A53 based processor while the RPi2 is a Cortex-A7. Of particular interest is that the NEON SIMD execution units on the Cortex-A53 is twice as wide as on the Cortex-A7. Since SIMD can help out a lot with DSP tasks, that potentially make the RPi 3 much better at what we’re trying to do. Or, as the Raspberry Pi Foundation folks are saying “We chose the processor not because it was 64-bit, but because it was such a better 32-bit processor."

Mostly I'm curious if you plan to stick with the plan to use the Raspberry Pi 2 even though the Raspberry Pi 3 is out, same price, same form factor, same I/O?
It depends on what comes out in our testing. Since some folks are going to be worried about power consumption, if the RPi 3 takes significantly more juice than the RPi 2, we’ll consider staying with the older board. We also have to make sure we can completely turn off the WiFi and Bluetooth transceivers so that we don’t run into RFI issues with those being inside the same box as our 440MHz RF gear. If these tests turn out favorably, we’ll probably ship with RPi 3. If not, all the current testing has being going on RPi 2, and we’ll ship with what we know.

Looking forward to the BBQ or demo of a nearly-shipping UDRX-440 at MicroHAMS Digital Conference in a few weeks.
Hopefully I’ve answered some of your questions.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ
--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)