  3. I usually use tightvnc or xrdp vs realvnc - be aware that hacker robots probe the well known ports for these applications
    • Be sure you change/update all system and user passwords
    • xrdp is accessible from Windows Remote Desktop clients (which are available for Windows, Android, MacOS, ...)

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Jeff - K2AK <k2ak@...> wrote:
I use putty and it works perfectly for SSH and built some macros to do
ordinary tasks like that. I think I might have had to turn on SSH in
raspi-config and then all was fine.

Jeff
K2AK

-----Original Message-----
From: main@....io
[mailto:main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ian
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:13 AM
To: main@....io
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] VNC on Compass

On 15-02-2017 06:42, John B Brown wrote:
> I cannot get realvnc to run on Compass.  I've tried manually
> installing it but without success.  Any suggestions?  I'm running
> Compass on a RPI3 with full updates and upgrades
>
> John B
>
> AD7QQ
> _._,_._,_

John,

I couldn't get VNC to work for me either, even after setting it using
raspi-config; I'm using RemoteDesktopViewer.  I have ircddbgateway and
dummyrepeater running on the PI and found I can edit remotely using:-

ian@debian8:~$ ssh -X pi@....13
pi@....13's password:

then

pi@compasslite01:~ $ sudo -E ircddbgatewayconfig
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

and the ircddbgatewayconfig window appears on my desktop regardless of the
error message and I can make " adjustments ".

Not the most elegant solution although it works for me..

Regards,

Ian..