Re: VNC on Compass

Ian

I had REALVNC working with my Browser before updating to the latest version; now I cannot use my Browser and I got the " sign in " prompt for REALVNC, so rather than set up an account I installed tightvncserver on the RPi3 as I can use xtightvncviewer from my main PC. THe update went from version 5 something to version 6 something on REALVNC.

Regards,
Ian..

On 15-02-2017 20:58, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
A few observations:
* The latest Raspbian/Jesse/Debian 8 releases, upon which Compass is
based do not turn on SSH by default, you have to enable it: SUDO
SYSTEMCTL ENABLE SSH ; SUDO SYSTEMCTL START SSH
* Since Compass is based on Raspbian-Jesse, you can use Raspbian
resources for documentation and help.
* I usually use tightvnc or xrdp vs realvnc - be aware that hacker
robots probe the well known ports for these applications
* Be sure you change/update all system and user passwords
* xrdp is accessible from Windows Remote Desktop clients (which are
available for Windows, Android, MacOS, ...)
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Jeff - K2AK <k2ak@k2ak.net> wrote:

I use putty and it works perfectly for SSH and built some macros to
do
ordinary tasks like that. I think I might have had to turn on SSH in
raspi-config and then all was fine.
Jeff
K2AK