Re: VNC on Compass

Ken Koster

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:58:17 PM PST John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
A few observations:

1. The latest Raspbian/Jesse/Debian 8 releases, upon which Compass is
based do not turn on SSH by default, you have to enable it: *sudo
Another way is to copy the image to your SD card, then mount it and add a
blank file called 'ssh' to the boot partition. Then ssh is automatically
started without the need to run raspi-config first.

systemctl enable ssh ; sudo systemctl start ssh*
2. Since Compass is based on Raspbian-Jesse, you can use Raspbian
resources for documentation and help.
3. I usually use tightvnc or xrdp vs realvnc - be aware that hacker
robots probe the well known ports for these applications
- Be sure you change/update all system and user passwords
- xrdp is accessible from Windows Remote Desktop clients (which are
available for Windows, Android, MacOS, ...)
I use x11vnc on all mine and start it with a systemd service file. It starts
up after everything is running and announces itself with avahi (Apples
zeroconf). If anyone is interested I'll be happy to publish the service file.

Ken, N7IPB

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Jeff - K2AK <k2ak@k2ak.net> wrote:
I use putty and it works perfectly for SSH and built some macros to do
ordinary tasks like that. I think I might have had to turn on SSH in
raspi-config and then all was fine.

Jeff
K2AK