Re: Buster plist files
Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>
For the record, the author tries to be as responsive as possible to people that email him, but he gets literally hundreds of emails a day from people asking various questions. He has a day job that is not writing Buster and he has commitments to NWDR to be doing Raspberry Pi work for the existing products as well as new product development.toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
To answer some questions:
1) Yes, the DPlus reflector list is constructed by the download from the DPlus authentication server when Buster starts up. (This code is in BTRDPlusAuthenticator.m starting at around line 185).
2) I had not recommended to people that they replace out the .plist files because the application is signed with my developer certificate. I has to be so that it can be on the App Store. It must be on the App Store because it includes Maps integration. Be forewarned that if you replace out the .plist files, you may break the digital signature and your Maps and geolocation may stop working.
For those that don’t know, there’s a set of poorly documented features surrounding maps and location services:
1) Buster will construct a proper D-STAR location slow-data string and send it out if you have location services enabled and it can get a location for you. Your Mac, even though it doesn’t have GPS, may be able to get its location based on what WiFi access points it can hear in the area.
2) Buster translates the latitude/longitude it receives from other stations into a City/State/Country if it can. These are resolved by sending the coordinates to Apple’s geolocation servers via the MacOS provided API.
3) If you double-click on a station that has location data associated with it, a popover map will appear where you can see exactly where those coordinates are. This way when you see “Drain, Oregon, United States” in Buster you can get a map to figure out that Drain is in the middle of nowhere.
With regards to the plist issue, the longer term goal is to use Buster as an initial implementation of John’s ar-dns.net project and Buster will live-query the ar-dns.net servers to find reflectors. I just have to find some time to code it. I’m happy to accept pull requests from people that have appropriate contributions.