Re: Questions regarding N7nix's installation instructions

Basil Gunn

The following line appears in
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/CORE_INSTALL.md:

apt-get install -y mg jed rsync build-essential autoconf automake
libtool git libasound2-dev whois libncurses5-dev

I'd like to know if mg (microscopic GNU Emacs-style editor), jed
(editor for programmers (textmode version)), and whois (intelligent
WHOIS client) are essential to the scripts you are providing, or are
just tools you as the script author likes to have available?
The 2 Emacs editors are essential to me as my fingers are wired that
way. 'whois' is handy for debugging some network problems. All small
programs.

rsync - is already available on the compass image or is after the
running "apt-get update -y" you call for prior to the apt-get
install above. Does this serve any purpose then?
rsync is important for getting files on & off your device. Since the
compass image changes it may already be installed. I absolutely need
it and it costs nothing for apt-get to figure that out.

/Basil n7nix