Re: Motorola Quantar & digital modes

Steve Stroh

To finish John's thought, all digital voice radios that I've ever heard of (D-Star, DMR, P25, even System Fusion) are backwards compatible with FM. With the modification that John describes, you run the radio in FM mode. It's ideal if the radio is flexible about the channel size. For example, D-Star uses a 6.25 kHz channel rather than the (traditional to FM operation) 25 KHz channels, and the more common these days 12.5 kHz channel.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Jim,

You don't need an AMBE chip (eg. ThumbDV) at the repeater.  Most digital modes require a modem that is connected to the discriminator and modulator (flat audio, no pre/de-emphasis) and appropriate software to handle the protocol.  The UDRC II was designed to provide the hardware to support software defined modems and PTT  -- see https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-For-Simplex-Hotspots-and-Converted-Analog-Repeaters

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 2:51 PM, jim lang <jimlang@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience / knowledge of connecting say a Thumb DV or anything digital to a Quantar?  I have recently obtained a UHF Quantar, and was wondering if it is humanly possible to run it both analog (FM) and in digital modes…I know it’s already P25 capable, but thinking more along the lines of D-Star, Fusion, etc., etc.  (whatever the flavor of the month might be!).   Basically, whatever comes in (i.e., analog, Fusion, D-star) goes out.

Thanks in advance,

Jim / kd9gy

Edmonds, WA

Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...