locked Re: D-STAR AT DAYTON HAMVENTION(R) 2018

There are open source implementations of the gateway. Ircddbgateway and qnetgateway, for example.

Over 10 years ago a D-STAR radio was built and demoed based on available information.

Anyway, this is probably a discussion for a D-STAR forum, father than a general discussion group for NW Digital Radio.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018, 17:59 Matthew Pitts via Groups.Io <daywalker_blade_2004=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I suspect he's thinking of the Gateway side of things, which is isn't documented.

Matthew Pitts

N8OHU

On 4/29/2018 8:42 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
Ken, I don't know what you are talking about.  The physical layer is the radio circuit and applied modulation, on D-STAR that is GMSK.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 5:30 PM, Kenneth Hendrickson via Groups.Io <dsp_stap@...> wrote:

On Sun, 4/29/18, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
> The protocols are
> published, the latest revision is in Japanese, but it is
> published and has been for years.
> http://www.arrl.org/files/file/D-STAR.pdf

Nope.

Still *NOTHING* about the physical layer.
Therefore, NOT fully published.

Therefore, NOT open.  NOT free (as in freedom).
Still CLOSED and PROPRIETARY.

Still NOT in the spirit of amateur radio.

73,
Ken N8KH

PS  When there are "reverse engineering" attempts published on the Internet, you KNOW that it is not fully open.  You don't have to reverse engineer an open protocol, because it is fully described in published documents.  No such documents exist for D-STAR.  Such reverse engineering attempts DO exist.

Edmonds, WA