Re: Linux RMS - headed for digital dustbin?

sancudo

I agree with Steve. The whole idea of Emcomm is for portability, in my opinion. I like using laptops too but I would like an option of using an OS other than WinDoze if the case arises that WinDoze has been compromised. And if the pi or another OS based microcomputer is available that's light and less power hungry the better.
Mario

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 5:09 PM Steve <yahoo-udr@...> wrote:
Wine has not been ported to the ARM architecture, so NO Windoze app will
work on a RPi.

Is the real challenge here a Winlink development team which is myopic in
their support for various operating systems?  If W1HKJ can build, test,
and support three operating systems for the FLDigi suite, why can't
they?  In Emcomm situations, where interoperability is the key, that
just doesn't make sense.

It is most difficult to be boxed into a position where one has to tell a
volunteer that they must pay homage to a large company in Redmond,
Washington, in order to use Winlink Express forms.  That would be like
telling hams they all have to buy radios from the same company.

We need to have a viable RPi solution for very portable Emcomm use, both
in the client (with forms) and RMS rolls.

Steve