Re: Linux RMS - headed for digital dustbin?

AE7G

From the perspective of EMCOMM leaders, forms are NOT proprietary (for the most part).

The forms are part of the Incident Command System structure, and they dovetail well with all sorts of planning documents and principles as part of the overall ICS structure.

The government provides ICS forms on line, they are available to copy and integrate into any structure.

From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Neals
Sent: Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:11 PM
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] Linux RMS - headed for digital dustbin?

I don't disagree John.
But the EmComm leaders have decided that forms save critical bandwidth over the air, and forms must be used.
Regrettably, forms are proprietary in Winlink, so EmComm leaders have locked us into Winlink Express, and Windows in one fell swoop.

-R

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 5:33 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

I looked on the winlink site and the HTML and CSS for existing forms does not appear to be independently downloadable, nor do I see a quick link to the data only transport.

Open things up and maybe some development will follow.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 17:08 Randy Neals <randy@...> wrote:

For EmComm oriented clients, there are a few key functions necessary in client software:
-Forms ie: HTML/CSS Forms creation & content-only transport

-Tactical Address Support

Outpost, Pat, Paclink (but not Paclink-Unix) and Winmail Express support tactical addressing.
Only Winlink Express supports Forms.

I'd dearly love to see a client that supports Forms and Tactical addresses that would run on a Raspberry Pi, such as the new DRAWS station.

It has been my experience that nearly every time I fire up my ham radio ThinkPad, that it wants to download an update or do something other than the Winlink message I want to send.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 2:29 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Scott Currie <scott.d.currie@...> writes:

> plinBPQ is not a platform you can run WE on. It can serve as a CMS
> gateway, or even a connection to a TNC/soundcard for WE to use, but
> you would still need to install WE "elsewhere". Getting WE to install
> and run on the Pi architecture is indeed difficult if not
> impossible. Certainly not something I would suggest.

Yes my apologies if anyone thought I was promoting that. You can NOT run
WE or most/any windows apps on an ARM platform under wine.  I am not a
fan of wine ... the not an emulator thing. The native linux apps work
pretty well for winlink messaging when using an RPi/Direwolf/UDRC.

/Basil