Re: Linux RMS - headed for digital dustbin?

sancudo

What Scott is saying rings true with me bc I've taught ham classes locally and KISS is a big four letter word when it comes to my students trying get hardware to work with simple software. Most folks barely know how to access Windows, much less Linux or ARM based software.
I really like WE. Probably the best it has been since it's inception in WinXP or earlier days. I was on forty miles from the eye of Hurricane Harvey last year... hunkered down in courthouse with high velocity winds blowing things sideways outside. And yet I was able to send messages thru my radio and pactor modem using WE on a Win7 desktop. The WE software worked flawlessly in send and receive mode. And even a non-ham could have operated the station. KISS. It worked for me.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 7:07 PM Scott Currie <scott.d.currie@...> wrote:
I'm going to regret wading into this, but here I go anyway....

I've been instructing EMCOMM teams on WE for quite some time now. It can be rather challenging to say the least. While the folks in this group are not likely to struggle at all with an RPi or Linux or even UNIX, and can probably compile a kernel blindfolded with one hand tied behind your back, you are not the average EMCOMM operator. Most of the EMCOMM teams I train struggle with zipped files! They really don't want to use anything that ends in X (except maybe a few OSX people).

Do I like WE? Not really, but it does the job. Would I rather have something more robust that runs on Win, Linux, Unix, OSX, iOS and Android? Absolutely, but it's not going to happen. I can't even tell you how many people who have told me they were going to write something waaay better. It either never happens, or gets only as far as early and ugly beta with no documentation or support. Meanwhile WE plugs along, gets a little better with each revision, and is in continuous support and development. So you need a Windows box, get over it. My portable station is a Win10 Tablet with keyboard that cost me less than $80. It runs WE and Direwolf just fine, and it would happily connect to a DRAW for RF connectivity if one was in WiFi range (or it can use a number of other hardware options).

If you are going to write something waaay better, let me know when it is done, I'll beta test it.
Until then, we're getting by just fine with WE.

-Scott, NS7C