Compass udrc kernel panic

Bernard Pidoux

Hi Annaliese,

Let me introduce myself first. I have been maintaining ham radio application under Linux for two decades, linfbb and FPAC. I am also contributing occasionally to Linux net modules AX25 and rose. I have a couple of raspberry pi with UDRC II hats running compass distro with Direwolf APRS and at the same time AX25 packet radio network applications. Everything is running flawlessly with last updates.
I recently experienced kernel panics with compass Linux distro with kernel 4.14.79-v7+ as soon as opening a Chromium window.
Kernel panic does not occur if I rmmod all snd and udrc modules before activating Chromium.
After removing all sound and udrc module, modprobe udrc does not reload all needed modules for aplay - l to find udrc card.
I attach one of the photo I took from screen while kernel panic. It shows a null pointer related to bcm2835.
When investigating kernel panic I noticed a few dmesg messages:
sdhost-bcm2835 3f202000.mmc could not get clk, deferring probe.
udrc: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
snd-udrc soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI tlv320aic32x4-hifi not registered -will retry
snd-udrc soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
If you need I can send you more details and screen pictures.

Regards,

Dr Bernard Pidoux
F6BVP