Re: Compass udrc kernel panic

Basil Gunn

Hi Bernard,

Understand that compass is raspbian is Debian. Please ssh into your
target machine & cut & paste text rather than attaching screen shots,
then you can show us more information from the panic.

The kernel panic from your screen shot is from kernel file:
net/ax25/ax25_addr.c in routine ax25cmp() which compares two ax25
addresses one of which is null.

It looks to me like this is occurring when FPAC is binding to device
rose0 but it's difficult to parse the screen shot you attached.

Anna might comment on the messages coming out of soc:sound. Eventually
the tlv320aic code registers with i2s

snd-udrc soc:sound: tlv320aic32x4-hifi <-> 3f203000.i2s mapping ok

From the information you have supplied I believe this is a Rose ax.25
problem and not a compass/udrc codec problem.

/Basil

Bernard Pidoux <bernard.f6bvp@...> writes:

Hi Annaliese,

Let me introduce myself first. I have been maintaining ham radio
application under Linux for two decades, linfbb and FPAC. I am also
contributing occasionally to Linux net modules AX25 and rose. I have a
couple of raspberry pi with UDRC II hats running compass distro with
Direwolf APRS and at the same time AX25 packet radio network
applications. Everything is running flawlessly with last updates.

I recently experienced kernel panics with compass Linux distro with
kernel 4.14.79-v7+ as soon as opening a Chromium window. Kernel panic
does not occur if I rmmod all snd and udrc modules before activating
Chromium. After removing all sound and udrc module, modprobe udrc
does not reload all needed modules for aplay - l to find udrc card. I
attach one of the photo I took from screen while kernel panic. It
shows a null pointer related to bcm2835. When investigating kernel
panic I noticed a few dmesg messages: sdhost-bcm2835 3f202000.mmc
could not get clk, deferring probe. udrc: loading out-of-tree module
taints kernel. snd-udrc soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI tlv320aic32x4-hifi
not registered -will retry snd-udrc soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card()
failed: -517 If you need I can send you more details and screen
pictures.

Regards,

Dr Bernard Pidoux
F6BVP