Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?

Mickey Baker <fishflorida@...>

Gee, Nate, how quickly you went to marginalizing other viewpoints by characterizing folks as "lemmings."

I submit to you that market forces may not be technically perfect - but that these forces drive the market and development money. In the current incarnation, DStar meets more of the need of the amateur radio market than anything else available right now with a commodity product. In my opinion, this relatively small market has reached a "tipping point" where demand cascades to eliminate potential competing technologies. Smart vendors will accommodate change. Others will ignore it, but, as the market moves, they will become irrelevant or they'll create another market... but the overall ham radio market is relatively small - there's not a lot of room for competing technologies. Rather, successful upstarts will adopt existing technology and build on it... like the promise of UDR.

Before you again make the mistake of assuming that market forces resemble almost-brainless "lemmings" I'd suggest that you read The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
 by Malcolm Gladwell  (ISBN 0-316-31696-2)  This work examines the intellect of (and some lack of intellect) that establishes patterns in the seemingly random movement of markets. I think you'd find it an interesting read.

We're not lemmings - we're communicators, and we (as a market) are choosing products that facilitate communications. Right now, the only product that seems to be doing that on a large scale is DStar. The adoption rate drives more adoption because the goal is communication. Market behavior, certainly, but no one is following anyone off a cliff. It is simply a classic example of a cascading market and Icom is to be commended in creating and driving the market - after all, at less than $300M worldwide, they're a relatively small company driving big ideas.

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@...> wrote:

Lemmings are never wrong. ;-)

73, de Nate >>

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.