Re: Digest Number 24

"qrv@..." <qrv@...>

The UDR56K-4 has an anticipated release in the 4th Quarter of this year,
with a target MSRP of $395.

Does that mean Retail Price: $350.? (Ouch!)

One Ethernet jack,
Four host USB ports,
Power, and Antenna connections.

All radio functions are controlled by software, using either a web browser interface or custom application.

Integrated Radio Messaging System (RMS) and D-STARi gateway and controller software.

Common Linux applications are easily installed using package management tools or may be compiled for the radio.

Some applications of interest to the amateur radio community have already been tested, such as AX.25 networking, gpsd, Xwindows, bluetooth integration, wireless 3G/4G broadband, USB sound, and others.

In talks with noted software developers to provide additional digital radio protocols and applications on the UDR56K platform.

The thinking is HSMM-MESH is a powerful tool in high density scenarios
and should be part of the ecosystem.

There is also a need for higher power, mobile and point to point links.
The UDR56K will be a work horse for these applications. A self healing,
dynamic, mesh protocol would provide the flexibility needed to
accomplish those goals.

206-801-0820
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 29, 2012, at 9:15, "George Jones" <hamfiles@...
<mailto:hamfiles@...>> wrote:

The one thing that is common to all of these technolegies is eithernet
and
TCP/IP. Currently the Internet is the method of transport where we as
hams
become dependant on the commercial common carriers and there failures. We
need to take a closer look at wireless Mesh Node Networks.

A number of hams around the US are modifying 2.4 and 5.8 GHz WiFi
routers to
be used at data bridges. The software being developed has features for
re-routing a path should a particular node becomes unavailable. D-STAR
and
other DMR systems all use eithernet to get to the Internet. All of these
systems can just as easily be transported over a wireless MESH NODE
network.
What we need is bandwidth with less interference. We are currently
blessed
with a number of microwave bands that go under used. We need to
develop ham
WiFi networks that operate at 3.4 GHz and some of our other bands. For
long
haul paths the new NW Digital radio presents some possibilities at 70 cm.

George W4AQR
w4aqr@... <mailto:w4aqr%40tampabay.rr.com>

-----

--