Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Gwen Patton

That's probably going to be the next major purchase for the fabrication section of my workbench, a good 3d printer. I'm tired of not being able to do things because I don't have a part, especially enclosures.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 11:49 PM Willie - N8WP <wpeloqui@...> wrote:
I recently got a new printer. A Prusa i3 mk3. I am working on learn Focus 360, I could use some assistance from more experienced modelers and printers.

Thanks,

Willie
N8WP

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 17:40 Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
Hi Basil and Dave,

@Dave, your comments on the RPi screen are pretty much spot on. I had a
spare one in a "SmartiPi" case I have been using to test an early adopter
DRAWS board during the betas. I posted my kitbash setup about a month ago or
so. It serves as my backup and porta-mobile digi right now and will work
adequately in the field with FLDigi. I use my workstation and laptop for
Winlink - so have not tried to set up those apps and cannot comment beyond
the notes below.

@Basil - re the 7" 800x480 RPi display - you want to have a (wireless)
keyboard with a mouse/pad!
1. Needs to be used in the shade.
2. Once RPi Stretch+Compass is set for "small screen" most stock RPi/Stretch
apps work adequately - IF you do not have vision issues.
3. Xastir is usable on the RPi screen once in fullscreen mode. Aspect ratio
makes for a weird map field (too short in some magnifications).
4. FLDigi/FLRig needed to be resized a little, but also will work in a
trouble-free manner once set up.
OTOH wsjt-x has configuration menus where critical that are inaccessible.
You can set them up if you know the default states and you know the order
that "Tab-bing" through setup selections proceeds, but it is a PITA.

Sunfounder 10"/Pi combo Questions:
Does the screen run off the buck regulator in the DRAWS card?
I originally passed on it because the display unit appeared to require its
own PS unit - the display kit with the acrylic stand and integral mounting
stuff seems to have solved that issue.
I need to eliminate the need for all but one PS (or Bioenno battery) as I
did with the early adopter kit.

Thanks for your comments-

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel