Bridging the digital voice and data gap

Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...>

This topic seems more appropriate to this group than any of the others that I'm in here, as the hardware should support at least the three main modes in use. I know some folks might get their knickers in a twist over this, but interoperability between DMR, D-Star and NXDN is something I feel would be of benefit to all digital voice hams, and would eliminate the (intentional) animosity I've seen in certain groups if someone brings up connecting certain "incompatible" hardware together.

I know that the DMR core network standard implies that it is possible to connect a Hytera repeater to a Motorola Mototrbo repeater even though they use incompatible manufacturer specific functions; there are similar potential issues with connecting Icom IDAS repeater to Kenwood NEXEDGE repeaters. D-Star is semi-unique in that it's network protocol is the same as it's over the air protocol, and this is what attracted me to it in the first place, from a hardware and software design perspective. Is anyone else interested in discussion on this subject?

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android