Re: Bridging the digital voice and data gap

Tyrell Berry <kd7kuj@...>

Not trying to start a flame war (but probably will...  I'm sorry in advance), but I feel it's important to point out.  Anytime you go from analog to digital, audio quality/information is lost.  If you go from D* to DMR, you are taking spoken voice (analog) and making it digital (IMBE) in your radio, the repeater receives the bits and spits out audio again (digital to analog), and encodes it AGAIN as digital (AMBE) to be sent to the received, where it once again gets converted to analog.  That's two A-D conversions...  each loses quality, and at these bit rates, we don't have much budget for dropping additional audio info.  People already complain about it sounding tinny!

SO, for me it's not a religious "thou shalt not inter-connect technologies" argument, it's more of a "the sacrifices made MAY make such a project technically unfeasible"

Just food for thought.

On Jul 31, 2012 6:05 PM, "Matthew Pitts" <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

This topic seems more appropriate to this group than any of the others that I'm in here, as the hardware should support at least the three main modes in use. I know some folks might get their knickers in a twist over this, but interoperability between DMR, D-Star and NXDN is something I feel would be of benefit to all digital voice hams, and would eliminate the (intentional) animosity I've seen in certain groups if someone brings up connecting certain "incompatible" hardware together.

I know that the DMR core network standard implies that it is possible to connect a Hytera repeater to a Motorola Mototrbo repeater even though they use incompatible manufacturer specific functions; there are similar potential issues with connecting Icom IDAS repeater to Kenwood NEXEDGE repeaters. D-Star is semi-unique in that it's network protocol is the same as it's over the air protocol, and this is what attracted me to it in the first place, from a hardware and software design perspective. Is anyone else interested in discussion on this subject?

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android