Re: Using a PiDrive with Draws HatUsing a PiDrive with Draws Hat

okiejim

Howdy all,
Here's an update. I received my pi3B+ and hooked up my draw hat. I did not use the 12 volt power I used the Pi power instead. I have a working Xastir station now. So not sure if I really did any damage when trying on my pidrive. I just don't know what the smoke was from and I am gun shy now of trying the 12 volt input again. I really want to but I really wanted to play first. I'm using a Yeasu ft-847 as I want to try the ft8 digital format. I left the new pi and draws hat powered up overnight with the radio turned off just in case. All seems well today. More to come.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 7:54 AM okiejim <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
I'm not an expert but I believe it will work on the PiDrive as long as you use the PiDrive power instead of the 12 volt supply. My new Pi3B+ should be in by this weekend. I will try my draws on it and see if I still has troubles. As far as my PiDrve it is working just fine. So the draws hat is what may have been what was damaged. If you can wait awhile I will update with further details.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 1:21 PM okiejim via Groups.Io <kd6vpe=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wanted to use my PiDrive as it is already setup as my access point and dhcp server to my ham shack on wheels. I plugged the hat in and hooked up an external 12 volt source. When I powered it up it gave me a smoke signal. I quickly disconnected power. So I then hooked it up to a pi2 that I have. Using the same 12 volt cable it fired up both the pi and draws hat. But it is not recognizing a sound card. I have ordered a pi3 B+ and will try it on that when it arrives. I hope I did not blow the card. showudrc.sh shows it sees the draws hat.