Re: Bridging the digital voice and data gap

Tyrell Berry <kd7kuj@...>

Maybe your all confused...  audio doesn't have to come out a speaker to be analog.  To be perfectly clear, the dv-dongle is still converting a digital signal to an  analog one...  and a second chip is required to go into any another digital code. Even if a lossless digital codec is used in between (like wave or similar), the conversion to a lossy format like AMBE is the troublesome one...  not the conversion to analog. Yes, less signal is lost vs going out a speaker and into a  microphone, but the principles I stated before are largely the same, and I'm not convinced the resulting stream of bits will be legible audio.

As for the conversion from fdma to tdma, if NAT can convert ip addresses, this should be easy.

On Aug 1, 2012 7:54 AM, "Reid" <reid.crowe@...> wrote:

Will the UDR56K4 be able to support the switching speeds required for DMR?

-Reid N0RC

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Matthew Pitts wrote:
>
> This topic seems more appropriate to this group than any of the others that I'm in here, as the hardware should support at least the three main modes in use. I know some folks might get their knickers in a twist over this, but interoperability between DMR, D-Star and NXDN is something I feel would be of benefit to all digital voice hams, and would eliminate the (intentional) animosity I've seen in certain groups if someone brings up connecting certain "incompatible" hardware together.
>
> I know that the DMR core network standard implies that it is possible to connect a Hytera repeater to a Motorola Mototrbo repeater even though they use incompatible manufacturer specific functions; there are similar potential issues with connecting Icom IDAS repeater to Kenwood NEXEDGE repeaters. D-Star is semi-unique in that it's network protocol is the same as it's over the air protocol, and this is what attracted me to it in the first place, from a hardware and software design perspective. Is anyone else interested in discussion on this subject?
>
> Matthew Pitts
> N8OHU
>
>
> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
>

Join main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.