locked Re: DRAWS + FT-891 + WSJT-X/FT8

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Alright, making progress left and right today.

Turns out my input audio levels are too low.  I get to decode some signals, but not all of what is out there.  I'm currently getting about 2 or 3 signals per cycle.

I followed the steps in Brian's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxWiDYMcRn4) where he uses alsamixer to set levels.  LO is at -6.0 and PCM is at -11 and that is where my ALC starts to move.

The signals coming in are not great and my waterfall looks like its been truncated:

image.png

I called Yaesu tech support and they actually didn't have a reference for this input (-1 for Yaesu!).  But they told me no more than .5 volt and the recommended setting is 100mV

Using Brian's spreadsheet I get

for .5 volts I get -3
for .1 volts I get -17

Neither of them improve the results or the waterfall.

For reference when I have the rig set to "USB" this is what the waterfall looks like and I get lots of signals in:

image.png

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 9:28 AM Temporarily Offline <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
So that is really interesting.

On my working setup I made a few contacts on 40m last night.  This setup uses the radio in USB mode, not Data/Pkt.

When I switch DRAWS to Data/Pkt I am able to transmit and my signals are heard, but I no longer can decode any signals.

So I can have one, but not the other.

Still stumped, but maybe that is some progress in there?

Purple is from 40m on the working setup from last night, Yellow is from today on the DRAWS on 20m.  No receive on DRAWS

image.png

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM <john.chabalko@...> wrote:
I'll have to dig around on this. To add some context to my comment - i've got a huge amount of interference around my home so just getting anything workable is a near miracle for me. I need to understand the signal processing options of the DRAWs better but just using FT8 and i was doing the same with WSPR, i'm getting what i consider to be successful transmission (but my bar is low, no doubt ;) )

For the OP, the other thing you could check is that you're in the right mode. I forgot to put my radio in "data" mode at one point and when it transmitted it opened the mic causing feedback. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on. I have SSB set to use the mic, and data set to use the rear connector (in the menus)