Re: Bridging the digital voice and data gap

"Tony Langdon, VK3JED" <vk3jed@...>

At 06:59 PM 8/2/2012, you wrote:
From: "Tony Langdon, VK3JED" <vk3jed@...>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 Time: 07:32:08

There is no analog audio near a DV Dongle (have you
ever managed to get an analog signal down a USB bus? ;) ).

Yup. I do it every day. On my TS-590S. Mostly analog data tones, but
sometimes analog DV tones. Audio codec in the radio, codec driver in the
PC. USB cable in between. Works very well.
But you are NOT passing analog audio down the USB cable. You're passing digital PCM to a USB sound device built into the radio. Semantics are important in this discussion, and my point still stands, there are no analog signals around a DV Dongle, just an AMBE coded bitstream and a PCM bitstream (plus commands to the dongle and status/responses back).

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com