Re: Good 2m rig?

Basil Gunn

I use an Alinco DR-235 MkIII for 220 packets and it's just ok. It is not
supported by Hamlib for rig ctrl & doesn't use a mDin6 connector for
data (DB9). I use 3 TM-V71a's for packet & they are great.

Although the TM-TM71a isn't listed in Hamlib rigctl -l it works ok if
you specify a TM-D710 as the rig ID. So another plus for the Kenwood.

If you haven't used rig ctrl on a vhf/uhf radio check out:
https://github.com/n7nix/auto-rmsgw-find
It automatically finds & tests all RMS Gateways on 2M/440,
runs on a Raspberry Pi with DRAWS or UDRC II and paclink-unix.
It is fairly TNC independent unless you want to programmatically change
between 1200 & 9600 baud packet

/Basil

John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> writes:

The Alincos are fine, but if you want true discriminator output (say for
GMSK) a mod should be applied.

https://www.k6jm.com/hs-alinco-mods.htm

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 11:28 AM Keith Williamson <hkwilliamson@...>
wrote:

I've had good luck with the Alinco DR135's. They're only $165 but are 2m
only. You do have to deal with the DB-9 data port.

I've used them for APRS digipeating and as AllstarLink simplex nodes.

I am tempted to get a TM-V71A based on what I'm reading here though. Seems
like the best fit for fldigi on RPi/DRAWS/DigiLink stack.

Keith
KF7DRV

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:30 AM Keating Floyd <kc4hsi@...> wrote:

I'll pile in positively on Ham Made Parts <https://hammadeparts.com/>
(no affiliation, just a happy customer.)

Nice and easy to deal with.

73,

Keating
KC4HSI

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 1:13 PM John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> wrote:

I believe Ham Made Parts have a cable for this.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:01 AM Steve, N9VW <steve@...>
wrote:

Bill,
You missed one vendor, Bridgecom. They make a series of single band
radios that have a 15 pin connector for interfacing. These are
resonably
priced ($240) units. I will be setting one up for evaluation with the
DRAWS unit in the coming weeks.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 5/24/2019 9:53 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
Is there a list of known compatible (or at least community aware
working) radios?
Here's a start of list where I was attempting to organize our options.

https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet

Oh if only we had a modern Kantronics D4-10 with agile frequency
control..

Until then, the V71 is the winner for VHF/UHF.

Bill

Kingston, WA