Re: Good 2m rig?

Basil Gunn

Not so much as a reply , but a genuine question.
Why do so many of you want a DIN-6 port? Technology-wise, it's almost
50 years old. It's huge.
Compared to what? DB-15, DB-9? not really.

If you could , wouldn't you rather have a 2-Meter rig with a Mini-USB,
Micro-USB or ( yuck ) USB-C ?
Nope. I would rather have a mDin6 to mDin6 cable that goes from my DRAWS
Hat to the radio. Cheap cable and supported by many radios.

Is it the throughput?
Nope

Is it because "It's what all my cables are already" ?
Nope

My perspective is that it's an issue to connect any HT to a computer
and have it behave nicely.
Granted an HT is a different cable.
For me HT is a novelty and mobilinkd with APRSdroid does a good job there.

1) gotta have the right USB to whatever is offered as a data/mic/speaker
port.
2) depending on the OS , you gotta have / find the drivers for this
unique cable so that the computer will recognize it and
3) now that the radio and computer "CAN" talk to each other, can it communicate? Was that 9600 baud or 14400? Is there a CRC?
Our cellphones do this with nearly no effort - why can't manufacturers?
Al
K7AOZ