Re: Good 2m rig?

Doug Henry

The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 16:24, WA7SKG via Groups.Io <wa7skg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You are comparing apples and oranges. The "Data Port" on ham radios is a
misnomer. It is a port for audio connections, just like the microphone
jack. It typically has PTT, TX and RX audio (often from two locations in
the radio for wide/narrow audio bandwidth), COS, and other signals. This
is designed to use with some hardware interface (TNC, modem, etc.) or
sound card (Signalink, etc.) device. Your USB connectors are for just
that, USB connections for power and data transfer. Trying to use a
mini-USB (4 pins) connector or micro-USB (5 pins) for an analog signal
cable is a recipe for disaster.

When manufacturers first started interfacing with radios, they simply
used the microphone connector. This often required the use of an
external switch box go go between the TNC and the microphone so the
radio could be used for dual purposes. Then, users wanted to hook both
devices simultaneously, plus wanted added features (discriminator tap
for UHF packet, COS, etc.) The mini-DIN 6 pin connector was an industry
standard at the time, used for PS/2 connections to computers and other
purposes. Readily available, inexpensive, smaller than Molex or DB
connectors, it was a good choice and became somewhat a standard for the
purpose.

So, hopefully, that may answer your "Why do so many of you want a DIN-6
port?" question.

Your other comments regarding the different HT/computer interfaces,
compatibilities between adapter/OS, drivers, baud rates, etc. are a
totally different issue. That is regarding purely data interfaces via
USB and converted serial data. Completely irrelevant to the conversation
at hand.

73,
Michael WA7SKG