Re: Bridging the digital voice and data gap

Tyrell Berry <kd7kuj@...>

Again, I'm not an audio engineer, and I have been wrong before...  but isn't saying that the chip is a vocoder and it is not compression kind of like saying MP3 is a Muscoder and is also not compression? Is it somehow true that because someone chooses to use a different vocabulary that the principles of which I speak somehow cease to apply?

It has been said several times before, and I will agree: it's entirely possible that transcoding through back to back vocoders may produce legible audio...  Only one way to find out, and I look forward to hearing recordings of the results.

On Aug 3, 2012 6:51 AM, "Bryan Hoyer" <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

The UDR56K has an expansion interface which is designed for an optional ambe vocoder (it is NOTcompression).

DVSI chips are TI DSPs that are factory programmed with their code. The interface is 2 SSPs or synchronous serial port which connect directly to the Marvell SOC.

The interface and drivers wil be documented.

Bryan