Re: Critical Mass

"qrv@..." <qrv@...>

Steve,

I was unclear, I was not suggesting that 25w (or more) is not
necessary - just that many Hams already have the RF power on their desks
and in their cars - they need to rest of the system.

D-Star has *only* succeeded after many years of giving-away
$10's of thousand of dollars worth of gear and repeaters and probably
as much in advertising.

The adapter dongles which hit the market in recent years added
many users who otherwise might never have joined the D-Star system.
The used market has been important to multiplying adoption as well.

My observation is that the hardware answer is *and* vs *or*.

The all-in-one box for those who are willing to spend the extra
*and* an add-on box for those whose budgets and commitment are more limited. (The latter tends to be the majority of ultimate-adopters
of new technology.)

It is always fascinating to watch a new product in the market
and it is my hope that you are successful whichever path you take.

73, David KD4E

I agree, this is a new type of box on the market and the market will
decide if it is embraced or not. One thing about the price though,
lots of people seem to spend money in that price range for dual band
radios, D-Star stuff, etc, not to mention HF gear. The only thing
that comes close is the D-Star 1.2 Ghz box at $800 +. There was a
440Mhz radio from Germany that could do the speed at $600 each, not
including the TNC. You can not compare it to a $25 used Linksys
802.11 box. It is apples and oranges when it comes to the radio
part. If you only need to go 300 feet...buy a 802.11 box. You might
be better comparing it to something like a Canopy or Alvarion
multipoint system. Personally, I think there will be a surge of sales
and we will see what happens. People have been wanting more speed
and versatility for a long long time! Steve N0FPF
--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
David Colburn nevils-station.com