Re: Opinions on SI

"qrv@..." <qrv@...>

Who created that "training exercise" and who claims it is taught
worldwide and accepted everywhere?

It is a favorite hobby of wanna-be one-world everything to claim
that the USA is wrong ... and an island of non-conformity ... sigh.

I think someone is borrowing credibility for pet-peeves by claiming
consensus where it does not exist.

After a recent presentation I was approached by a fellow Ham who
noted that my presentation did not conform to SI (International
system of units). He offered a training exercise in the proper usage
which I accepted. I must admit, I was ignorant of SI prior to that
time.

Apparently, SI is taught in grade school throughout the world,
whereas my US education seems to be lacking.

So I went through my material fixing obvious offenders, like proper
capitalization and the use of a space between value and units.

the K in kilo should be lowercase 70cm should be 70 cm 12VDC should
be DC 12 V (looks pretty awkward to me)

I then learned that bps should be b/s and dBm don't exist. Further
ppm is incorrect.

Now I've never seen b/s used by anyone, anywhere and I certainly
wouldn't want a table of values expressed as:

dB referenced to 1 mW

instead of dBm

When I purchase an oscillator, tolerance is expressed in ppm, so
apparently the manufacturers are unaware of their non-conforming
usage.

Am I out of touch with reality? Are you offended by 56 kbps?

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this, particularly those of you
educated somewhere other than the US

Bryan
--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com