Re: Opinions on SI

Michael Schulz <mschulz@...>

Some comments from someone who actually is from Germany and grew up on the
metric system. And yes, sorry to say but the US is pretty much the only country in
the western world on he Imperial system, the UK uses a mix of both.

The k in Kilogram indeed is lower case as is the c the d the m (centi, deci, milli).
There is a space between the 70 and the cm or m or km or mm or you name it.

Not so sure at the moment about the DC 12V .. most I have seen is simply 12 V or
220 V with either ~ (AC) or = (DC) as leading sign.

bps vs b/s is the same. You need to define the relation of one unit to the other. If you
omit that it's not clear. If I say b/s (or km/h or m/h) the it's unmistakenly defining the
relationship between the two. Of course everybody in the IT field knows what bps are,
but outside maybe not :).

As a side note, it's always interesting to see as a European living in this very nice country
how easily offended Americans can get when they have to learn or deal with the fact that
the US is not the center of the universe, and not everybody is looking to the US only to see
how to do things.

73 Mike K5TRI

On 11/24/2012 9:56 AM, qrv@... wrote:

Who created that "training exercise" and who claims it is taught
worldwide and accepted everywhere?

It is a favorite hobby of wanna-be one-world everything to claim
that the USA is wrong ... and an island of non-conformity ... sigh.

I think someone is borrowing credibility for pet-peeves by claiming
consensus where it does not exist.

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
David Colburn nevils-station.com