Re: What works out of the box?

Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...>

I've never been a fan of using voice capable repeaters for DSTAR data applications such as D_RATS. I agree that using data modes on a voice repeater is annoying to voice users. Anecdotal evidence also indicates that data over a voice repeater (especially linked repeaters) introduces undesirable latency.

I was thinking of using a 70 cm simplex frequency for one port on a D-RATS Ratflector with a second port connected to the Internet to allow D-RATS messages to Internet recipients to originate over RF.

73 Mark KV4I

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM, k7udr <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

I'm just thinking of a repeater tied up with dead air possibly annoying voice users. I suppose one could use a dv dongle and capture an AMBE encoded canned message to include.

There are certainly use cases where this would be ok.

John's our D-STAR expert so I'll let him answer any further discussion.