Re: Multiple Applications / Modes simultaneously running on the UDR56K-4

Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...>

Thanks for addressing my question. I see now that available RAM might be an obstacle to running both WL2K and a Ratflector at the same time.

I'm presently running a Ratflector (as well as xtightvnc, a web server and ftp server) on my 512 MB Raspberry Pi with only 162 MB free so setting up a Ratflector on the 256 MB UDR56K might be the only app I can run but it looks like a fun opportunity to experiment.

Thanks,
73 Mark KV4I

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:49 AM, John <john@...> wrote:

Mark (KV4I) asks:

For example, can I run a Winlink 2000 RMS Gateway and a
D-RATs Ratflector simultaneously?

NW DIgital Radio will have a pre-packaged RMS Gateway for the UDR56K-4

We have not profiled running D-RATS Ratflector on the UDR56K-4.  It does require a fair amount of memory, so observation of it running in parallel with other applications is prudent.

Installing D-RATS on the UDR56K-4 (as root or using sudo)

cp add-apt-repository.sh.txt /usr/sbin/add-apt-repository
chmod +x /usr/sbin/add-apt-repository
add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-hams-updates/ppa
apt-get update
apt-get install d-rats glade xterm twm

(You will also need to run an X-Window server on your GUI system, if you use Windows you can install xrdp on the UDR56K -- along with xterm, and use Remote Desktop -- running a GUI such as vncserver, X-Windows, etc. does add overhead to the radio's server -- daemons with web interfaces are more efficient and recommended.)

Hopefully this information will be helpful in your planning.  The D-RATS package can run the Internet server on the UDR56K-4 processor (untested but have successfully installed and executed it) = I have not tested it with an external radio (USB to D-STAR radio) yet.  We have not setup the UDR56K-4 radio for direct connection to D-RATS at this point.