Re: Multiple Applications / Modes simultaneously running on the UDR56K-4

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

Thanks John for getting this thread going.

As John pointed out the radio is in one mode at a time, so running D-STAR and packet apps simultaneously is out for now.

There are other things one could do, but there are issues with the reality of the world we play in.

For example, in 9k6 packet mode one could simultaneously run RMS Gateway and APRS IGate in software. The problem is they are on 2 different channels, each of which is a dedicated resource (please don't suggest scanning as a solution).

This is why I proposed the hailing channel for packet radio at DCC last September (I'll be giving the presentation again at Comms Academy in Seattle).

The UDR is the first radio capable of implementing such a concept. I'm sure all of you have your own ideas what we might do with it. The successful ideas will be those that local groups implement, then publish their results for others to use.

Let the experiments begin!