Re: UDR56K-4 current draw / fuse

Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahoo@...>

Thank you;  that's very helpful.  I've reformatted your answers for ease of reading, and for possible inclusion in an FAQ.

On 2013-04-12 09:35, Dean Gibson AE7Q wrote:
I'm doing station power planning (West Mountain RigRunner 4012), and I note that the first set of specs said 12vDC @ 5A, but the more recent one says 6A.  Questions:
  1. Q: Does that change w/ the AMBE board?
    A: Not significantly.
  2. Q: Does that include the possible max draw from the USB ports?
    A: No.
  3. Q: What fuse capacity do you recommend (5A, 7.5A, or 10A)?
    A: 10A
  4. Q: Is the UDR internally fused?
    A: No, but the USB power has a 2A polysilicon resettable fuse.
  5. Q: Someone previously asked about the power connector.  I got the impression that it was not a standard connector, but you will provide both halves, or a cable (length?) that mates to the connector.  True?
    A: It is a standard Molex RAST-5 connector (2 PCB mount RA fast-on lugs on 5mm centers in a polarized latching shell).
  6. Q: Dimensions (including footprint)?
    A: L x W x H: 180 x 120 x 80 mm.
  7. Q: On how many sides are connectors (this also affects location planning)?  Any externally-visible LEDs (eg, On/TX/RX), or a header for the user to connect same?
    A: Front: Ethernet w/ link/activity LED, and USB. Red-green LED for CPU; red-green LED for radio.
    A: Rear: RF and power