Re: UDR56K-4 current draw / fuse

Tyrell Jentink <tyrell@...>

I'm still playing the PP game, and all my equipment is converted over... but I find them to be frustrating for all the reasons you cite, and am considering switching to a more secure connection.

That being said, I'm a starving college kid, and only have one rig that moves from my desk and my Jeep quite regularly, making straight wire connections less feasible. I'm also concerned about wearing out a molex connector under heavy usage. I do want the same connector on all equipment, but your quite right about never interconnecting with other station's equipment... it's hard to even imagine a need, but I intend to carry a pigtail from my eventual solution to PP in my go bag, just in case.

Bringing it back to topic, I'm quite used to having to build pigtails for all my radios. I like to preserve the factory connectors when possible, and run to PowerPoles from there. Complaining about the factory connector seems rather silly.

On Apr 15, 2013 10:07 AM, "qrv@..." <qrv@...> wrote:

Powerpoles add cost & unpredictability.

They are not waterproof (an odd choice for emcomm), they must
be assembled carefully or are prone to failure, they tarnish
over time and only partially self-clean during connect-disconnect
cycles (when tarnished they demonstrate high-loss for low current
and high current demands), and the most common connectors are
unsuitable for high current apps (requiring a higher amp-rated
non-interconnectable version of the PP 75a vs 35a). They are
also easily bumped loose, creating intermittent connections, or
completely apart.

I removed all of them and went back to sure-connect bare wire
and crimped wire connectors (they are cheap, simple, available
everywhere) and terminals. Reliable & simple.

Most users almost never, if ever, interconnect with anyone nor
do they frequently connect and disconnect most of their gear -
once set up.

IMHO, YMMV ...

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com