Re: No 2m but still an APRS igate?

"kc5zrq" <kc5zrq@...>

Really? VHF? I operate APRS and RMS Packet using UHF at 9600 baud. It works so much better than 1200 baud packet on VHF. The noise floor on UHF is usually lower. A typical ham dual-band antenna has higher gain on UHF than VHF. The bandwidth of 9600 baud AX.25 is more narrow than 1200 baud. There is lots more unused spectrum on UHF than VHF. I want UHF!

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Sander Pool <sander_pool@...> wrote:

Hi,

the radio looks interesting but without a 2m radio how could it
reasonably be an APRS igate? I realize you can run APRS on many
frequencies but it's not much use running an igate when no one is using
your frequency. I'm asking because APRS is listed on the flyer. Actually
it seems 2m is a more popular packet frequency for winlink2k as well but
at least in that case there is no agreed upon frequency so you can run
one on 70cm.

Thanks,

Sander W1SOP