Re: No 2m but still an APRS igate?

Sander Pool <sander_pool@...>

Right, if you have a local userbase that runs APRS on 70cm then this would be a great radio. It could even be an advantage that no one 'in the know' will be pinging your igate with 144.390 packets. But as a general purpose APRS igate it would not be very useful.

http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Frequencies

To be clear, I have nothing against UHF or any other frequency, of course. Clearly there are advantages to running 9600 baud packet over UHF. I was questioning the use of APRS in the flyer. I suppose anyone with the knowledge to set up a linux based APRS igate would not be confused and quickly see that it is not usable on the most often used frequencies.

73,

    Sander W1SOP

On 5/22/2012 12:59 PM, Bill Vodall wrote:

The main reason I'd buy one of these radios today is to use as a home
digipeater and iGate for our 96UHF alternate APRS network. UHF and
9600 is plug and play with the Kenwood mobiles but doing 9k6 is a pain
with any other setup.

All you need to make an APRS alt channel is one (preferably two) IGate
on any other frequency. The hard part is getting folks to actually
make use of it. (9k6 is a disadvantage here too but that's another
discussion...)