Re: Webmail Clients

Steve Stroh N8GNJ <steve.n8gnj@...>

Bryan:

SquirrelMail at least the last time I was forced to use it 5+ years
ago, is, at best, adequate. But there's got to be something better. As
a result of the infestation of Google+ into Gmail, there are several
projects going on to replicate the Gmail experience on one's own
server, and those might be worth investigating.

I've found that text mode PINE mail client to be more usable than
SquirrelMail. I believe Pine and it's associated text mode, text
editor Pico, are open source from the UW here in the Seattle area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_(email_client). Apparently there is
a successor to Pine - Alpine. In contrast to most text mode mail
clients, Pine was intuitive and easy to use. Being text mode, it was
very responsive. Its one downside is that it didn't deal with
attachments very well. One real positive was being text only, it
stripped "foo foo'd" email messages with lots of fonts, colors,
dancing bears, etc. down to just the text.

Pine also did a great job of reading USENET News -
http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/news.html#top

I think the POP/SMTP capability will be more widely used with
Thunderbird, which is a pretty good mail client.

BBS Style Bulletins...
1. For semi-static content (my station information) it would be great
if the web apps could include a Wiki, preferably a "federated" Wiki
like what Ward Cunningham discussed at last year's MicroHAMS Digital
Conference - changes in one are automatically replicated to others
that are subscribed.
2. Some kind of simple blog generation would also be great, and you
can subscribe to it using RSS. That works great, lots of RSS clients
out there in opensourceland, and it's pretty lightweight to poll a
blog with RSS to see if there's an update.
3. NNTP / USENET servers / clients are THE way to go in Amateur Radio
TCP/IP Networking. It's just such a good match overall with the likely
way that UDRX networks will likely evolve.
4. Markdown - yes. It's the new HTML, and even more efficient.

One related comment related to the apps - please include some simple
way for the system to be able to make use of secondary storage, such
as a USB flash drive, for storage of user content such as email
messages, etc. I think that I'm going to be using my UDRX so much that
I don't want to fill up and overflow whatever native storage the UDRX
will include in the base unit.

I'm glad that you responded in detail to those that just want a
flexible RF modem. Good grief - that functionality is IN there for the
1% that want to play at that level. Apparently it's tough to convince
the 1% that they're not paying any more, waiting any longer, suffering
from any inefficiencies for having a processor and OS that supports
apps that they can easily bypass and play with pure I and Q.

For the rest of us (you know, the ones that want to throw money at you
and buy MULTIPLE radios, build networks, encourage others to buy
UDRXs)... PLEASE DO develop apps that will be included, supported, and
documented!!!

Thanks,

Steve Stroh N8GNJ
Redmond, WA area
unabashed UDRX fanboy

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
When using email over RF either peer to peer or winlink a mail client is required.

We support POP3 and IMAP so you may use your favorite standard email client such as Outlook, AppleMail or Thunderbird.

In order to have a configuration free app we also have a webmail client pre-installed on the UDR. Currently we're using Neomail and it is perfectly satisfactory. However it is no longer actively supported.

There are some advanced features that I believe will be important in the future such as:

* Markdown Support
* Authentication
* BBS Style Bulletins

SquirrelMail and Horde look interesting.

What are your thoughts on Webmail Clients? Debian packages strongly preferred.

Cheers,
Bryan K7UDR