Re: AW: PAVE/PAWS (Over-The-Horizon radar - shades of the woodpecker - in reverse!)
Jim Kusznir <jkusznir@...>
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
As an R&D lab manager, I frequently have to address questions like this and weigh the answers. I'm not involved with the project itself, but from what I understand of where they're at in the process, and my understanding of similar projects, if I were the project manager, I'd have to say:
Not this release (it will continue as planned), but we will look at it for inclusion into the next release.
Its more than just a causal change of the tuner chip...They have already had protoypes made, extensive bench testing of the design, and are very near releasing it for manufacturing. If this had been brought up 6 months ago, I'd give it a serious consideration. But given the costs in labor, further release delays, further prototyping, and possible invalidation of any manufacturing contracts under negotiation, etc., its too late to make a change like this...At this phase, I would ONLY be allowing changes for "bug fixes", and this doesn't constitute a bug. And they would have to be very small changes or very, very large bugs.
If you do want to see the tuner chip replaced, I'd say help make this release a success (lots of purchased radios), and have as many of the BUYERS request that feature so that it becomes a priority for the next version. It just doesn't make sense to delay an initial release further after all that has already been delayed in this one....
On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM, siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote: