Re: AW: PAVE/PAWS (Over-The-Horizon radar - shades of the woodpecker - in reverse!)

Jim Kusznir <jkusznir@...>

As an R&D lab manager, I frequently have to address questions like this and weigh the answers.  I'm not involved with the project itself, but from what I understand of where they're at in the process, and my understanding of similar projects, if I were the project manager, I'd have to say:

Not this release (it will continue as planned), but we will look at it for inclusion into the next release.

Its more than just a causal change of the tuner chip...They have already had protoypes made, extensive bench testing of the design, and are very near releasing it for manufacturing.  If this had been brought up 6 months ago, I'd give it a serious consideration.  But given the costs in labor, further release delays, further prototyping, and possible invalidation of any manufacturing contracts under negotiation, etc., its too late to make a change like this...At this phase, I would ONLY be allowing changes for "bug fixes", and this doesn't constitute a bug.  And they would have to be very small changes or very, very large bugs.

If you do want to see the tuner chip replaced, I'd say help make this release a success (lots of purchased radios), and have as many of the BUYERS request that feature so that it becomes a priority for the next version.  It just doesn't make sense to delay an initial release further after all that has already been delayed in this one....

--Jim, K7LL

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM, siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

Haa ha nice answer .. but does not help here

I asked a serious question and also told a reason for changing

If car manufacturer has made a new model ... and just before release it on
the next car show one of his engineers comes to him and says ... hey boss
... we have now a better motor with double the power and lower gasoline
needs ... what would the boss say?!? Scope creep??? Or would he say : man
... how fast can you add that motor to our production line /new model ???

If the designers would have asked ... I would have said earlier that more
bands in the upper range is better (more bandwidth, higher bad rate, smaller
antennas ... grin)

... so ... WHAT DO OTHER GROUP MEMBERS THINK???

Would you like a 3 band radio (70cm, 23cm 13cm) ???

If you wanna build a "ham-net" hot-spot ... you could use the same radio(s)
for the user end on 70 cm and for the back-end to other stations on 13 or
23cm

Yes I know it would mean a rebuild of the tuner and rf part of that data
radio ... but I think it is worth thinking (and maybe discussing) about that
... right?!?

Dg9bfc

sigi