Re: A question about dmr function.

"Tyrell Jentink, KD7KUJ" <tyrell@...>

I had the understanding that Motorola also had essential patents on dPMR as well; See http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-EN/Technology_Licensing/Standards-Based+Licensing

It simply blows my mind that Motorola can hold essential patents for standards not written by them. It seems like a blatant violation of the intent of the US patent system, as it neither protects the inventor nor encourages further innovation. It makes Motorola rich, and keeps even hobbyists from learning about supporting technologies. Yet, Motorola lays claim to these patents, and insists on charging fees. I doubt we will see a solution to this that any of us will like.

On Jun 2, 2014 9:51 AM, "kc5zrq@... [UniversalDigitalRadio]" <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

I don't know why it says that.  You don't need to pay a license fee for DMR.

[ Moderator -> see http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-EN/Technology_Licensing/Standards-Based+Licensing/DMR+Essentials+Licensing+Program ]