Re: A question about dmr function.

kc5zrq@...

I don't think licensing is an issue as long as UDRX isn't being shipped with full DMR capability.  I am not an attorney, but I glanced over the patents and figured most of them are integral to the AMBE codec, and therefore any licensing would covered by DVSI.  If you purchase the DV3000, then you have purchased the rights to use most of the patents related to DMR.  Other patents are not relevant if you don't intend to make use of them, such as being able to automatically switch between FM voice and Digital modes.  Other patents involve the TDMA modulation and if the radio is inherently capable of the modulation, and then someone writes software that makes use of the modulation...  I don't know, but I would think if THAT required licensing, then the open and public requirement for use in the amateur service wouldn't apply.