Re: Codec2

"John" <john@...>

If Codec-2 is ported to the UDR56K a user would have the option of using AMBE based DV (with the add-on card) and/or Codec-2.   Codec-2 has been making a lot of progress but isn't quite ready.  A framing and error-correction protocol is likely required and the current code uses floating point calculations which makes real time coding on difficult on this class of processor.  A move to fixed point and/or the use of a dedicated processor (like what is done with AMBE) should make it feasible.

The UDR56K AMBE card will likely carry the newer chip which supports more coding formats than what is needed for D-STAR, while remaining compatible with D-STAR.  Other AMBE based DV may be possible.