Re: Codec2

"John" <john@...>

If Codec-2 is ported to the UDR56K a user would have the option of using AMBE based DV (with the add-on card) and/or Codec-2.   Codec-2 has been making a lot of progress but isn't quite ready.  A framing and error-correction protocol is likely required and the current code uses floating point calculations which makes real time coding on difficult on this class of processor.  A move to fixed point and/or the use of a dedicated processor (like what is done with AMBE) should make it feasible.

The UDR56K AMBE card will likely carry the newer chip which supports more coding formats than what is needed for D-STAR, while remaining compatible with D-STAR.  Other AMBE based DV may be possible.

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Perry Chamberlain <canoeman@...> wrote:
>
> Although this is something that should have been done ten years ago, and is cool amateur radio engineering, the hundreds, and hundreds of thousands of dollars that has been spent on the AMBE CODEC EMBEDED equipment, is a massive barrier to this ever changing the Dstar system. And why yaesu, has decided to come out with yet another digital mode, is baffling.
> ( just a note, I own 6 yeasu radios, so I am a yaesu fan)
> But, thats what amateur radio is all about. But it would be nice if we could choose a common codec.
> I'm financially entrenched in Icom D-star now, so I'm locked in.
>
>
>
> Respectfully
>
> Perry Chamberlain
>
>
> On May 22, 2012, at 9:17 AM, "nikropht" nikropht@... wrote:
>
> > I wanted to let this group know about the progress on Codec2. Codec2 is a fully open source DV codec being developed as a replacement for AMBE2000 see http://www.codec2.org/ for details.
> >
> > -Mike
> > KD5QLN
> >
> >
>

Join main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.