Re: Codec2

"dnolder@..." <vk7yxx@...>

"this is something that should have been done ten years ago"

QFT

Unfortunately it wasn't, and that the biggest issue I have with the development of D-Star. Having said that, Amateur Radio is already a splintered hobby with many niches, so it's nothing new.

What concerns me more is the (political) resistance to allowing interoperability/gateways between systems. The transcoding, gateways and transports themselves are all relatively minor feats in comparison. All it takes is "someone" saying they won't allow gating from IRLP to Echolink, Echolink to D-Star, or P25 to whatever, and a segment becomes isolated. We're our own worst enemy and we'll pay for it in real dollars.

I don't want to have to take three HT with me when I leave the house, or have a rack of three mobile rigs in the car. I also don't want my investment in D-Star to become worthless.

The Icom/Yaesu situation is a classic. Can you imagine a CW/AM/SSB/FM transceiver that would only work with another transceiver of the same brand? That's effectively what we're talking about.

I really think hardware is the key. An extensible, fully open, software defined, HT, mobile and base with enough processing power on-board to handle whatever is required, even if it has to have an AMBE chip sitting to the side for backwards compatibility. Give the developers the platform and let them have at it.

Icom is the incumbent with the monopoly. Yeasu has played the FUD card with their "Digital Vision" document and the subsequent presentation of their solution at Dayton. We'll be the ones that pay if we play the game.

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Perry Chamberlain <canoeman@...> wrote:

Although this is something that should have been done ten years ago, and is cool amateur radio engineering, the hundreds, and hundreds of thousands of dollars that has been spent on the AMBE CODEC EMBEDED equipment, is a massive barrier to this ever changing the Dstar system. And why yaesu, has decided to come out with yet another digital mode, is baffling.
( just a note, I own 6 yeasu radios, so I am a yaesu fan)
But, thats what amateur radio is all about. But it would be nice if we could choose a common codec.
I'm financially entrenched in Icom D-star now, so I'm locked in.

Respectfully

Perry Chamberlain