Re: Codec2

"David Lake (dlake)" <dlake@...>

"What concerns me more is the (political) resistance to allowing
interoperability/gateways between systems."

Now....

Article 1.56 of the ITU Radio Regulations define amateur service as "A
Radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training,
intercommunications and technical investigations carried out by
amateurs, that is by duly authorized persons interested in radio
technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest."

That sounds pretty clear to me. Intercommunication, technical
investigations, no pecuniary interest.

BTW, you have not mentioned Motorola. So far, they are the worst
offender and they have bite. Icom are trying to be open and so far,
things have gone pretty well with them (especially Icom US). It's early
days for Yaesu.

Hardware is only half the battle - software and protocols are needed to
interconnect the hardware. Both parts are important, and that is what I
hope this group manages to achieve.

David