Re: 44 addresses / JNOS 56K / Gateway Security ?

Tom Hayward <esarfl@...>

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q yahu.stuff@...
[UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:
That's an understatement. The whole 44 thing is (functionally) a joke. Promises for minor changes are still not made after a year.

I know this is a hobby, but if you are going to try to interest new amateurs (especially those with a network background), don't ever tell them about the 44.net. I finally dropped my membership in the 44.net mailing list. Not that it had much effect; nothing's going on there.
44net has a reasonable size user base with low average networking
experience and an apparent reluctance to change. That said, AMPR has
allowed users of the 44net IP space to do their own thing as long as
they also support the entrenched RIP and IPIP tunnel scheme. For
example, HamWAN is announcing their address space via BGP, just like
the rest of the Internet. We made arrangement with some other BGP
users to prefer the BGP routes over the IPIP tunnels, so at least our
little piece of 44net has link-state-aware routing and multi-homing.
If you don't like how something is done, just make your own
arrangements.

Tom KD7LXL