Re: 44 addresses / JNOS 56K / Gateway Security ?

"Tyrell Jentink, KD7KUJ" <tyrell@...>

Had you said "We wanna make a facebook-like social network," that would have been one thing... It's probably a "Thing" that would be popular for a few minutes in a few geographic regions before following BBS' 1998 journey into obscurity, but it would be a thing none the less.

But that's a far cry from telling the high schoolers that they can Facebook on Ham Radio; Merely making the statement could be a liability, because what happens when they take you literally?

Not to mention the fact that Facebook uses all kinds of media types that aren't well suited for this bandwidth... And once all restrictions pan out, it won't really be very Facebook like. In fact, it will be fairly BBS like... And as previously mentioned, that lost its allure about two decades ago.

So again... What real traffic will this network carry? And if it's just EmComm stuff... I'm on board, I'll set up a node... But I won't be comparing it to Facebook, and I sure won't be presenting it to the younger generation as any kind of revolutionary wave of the future.

On Feb 26, 2015 11:36 AM, "Bill Vodall wa7nwp@... [UniversalDigitalRadio]" <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

>> > So what are people planning on doing once a 56k mesh network exists?
>> > What
>> > kind of traffic will it carry?
>>
>> Facebook and much more... With RF multicast to take advantage of our
>> spectrum resources instead of the old one-to-one model that so
>> hindered the previous generations of tools.
>>
>> Bill, WA7NWP

> Facebook uses HTTPS, which is encrypted, and is definitely designed to
> "Obscure the meaning of the message," and is definitely against the rules in
> the US.

That's an implementation detail. Our better version can be and do
what we want... It's the concept, and beyond, that we need to work
on.

Bill