Re: 44 addresses / JNOS 56K / Gateway Security ?

"Tyrell Jentink, KD7KUJ" <tyrell@...>

A few years ago, there was a crash at the National Championship Air Races in Reno, NV, injured dozens, killed a few.  I wasn't there... I was 10 miles away at the time; Yet, the cell network was down, and I couldn't make calls or send texts. My amateur radio saved the day, not only getting me directions to where I needed to go, but also kept me updated faster, and with more accurate information than the news was providing.

I was the president of the student amateur radio club at the University of Nevada. That story excited kids at conventions, but it didn't even attract new hams from the Red Cross club (Although, we did get 2 people from the Doomsday Prepper club... But I think they were interested before I talked to them). The IEEE kids looked at us like we were some relic of the past, and they looked at our shack like it was a museum. I heard a resounding "I don't wanna take ANOTHER test, just to get to play with technology that my cell phone laughs at, just in the off chance that we have another city wide emergency like the plane crash."

We shouldn't have to emulate the commercial world... But EmComm isn't attracting the kids. The promise of talking to Australia got me to get my license when I was young... But I still haven't done it, because 15 years later, I still can't afford an HF radio. There are a lot of half-baked promises built into this hobby... Things that sound like they should attract new people, but when faced with the reality of time and money prioritization, just don't pan out with the majority of young people.

We need creativity. We need something that has a coolness factor that can't be beat by the commercial world. In the '80s and '90s, packet seemed to meet that description... But we haven't done anything revolutionary since the iPhone.

On Feb 27, 2015 7:09 AM, "ve7dhm@... [UniversalDigitalRadio]" <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Amateur radio was/is portable/mobile/base station radios giving those
who can pass an exam the capability to talk across town or around
the world using voice and data. No infrastructure required.

Commercial development morphed it into a capability for the masses. So
now a greater part of everyones paycheck goes to pay for their monthly
communication expense than when it was landlines and over the air TV.
A huge infrastructure is required.

A friend went to an emergency planning group meeting and as he was
describing 1200 baud packet radio, the equipment, the nodes for
extending communication range, and the application software a couple
of IT guys at the table scoffed at the idea of using such a slow
system for an EOC emergency message system as a backup.  The friend
walked over to the IT guys and handed them a pencil and piece of paper
and said well then you had better start learning to write real fast
because that's all you are left with when infrastructure fails.

So maybe showing the kids of the world a UDRX-440 based network isn't
so bad after all.  It doesn't have to mirror the commercial world...
where is the innovation in that?  But it certainly has the potential
capability of handling text, voice, pictures, GPS data faster than
writing with a pencil.

Revolutionary....no monthly user fee and the capability to keep working
when the infrastructure fails....something to show the kids.

Paul VE7DHM